Although no one wants to ever have to deal with a house fire, these accidents are quite common and, most of the time, easily avoidable. It’s very important to remember that the smallest spark can trigger a disastrous chain of events and some precautionary measures really need to be known by the entire family. More often than not, what causes house fires are seemingly innocent things, such as:

 

Phone chargers

The recent incident surrounding a popular smartphone drew attention to the fact that phones pose a major fire threat. But, even with that particular phone off the market, the danger isn’t gone. Phones don’t catch fire only when they have faulty manufacturing, but also when they aren’t charged accordingly – more precisely, when you charge them through a counterfeit charger. If you lost or damaged the cable that the phone came with, don’t replace it with a cheap knock-off. Not only will it damage the phone’s battery, but also start a fire. Cheap replicas send an overcharge to the battery, increasing the temperature to the point when it can burst into flames.

 

Chimneys

Chimneys are a dreamy and romantic addition to your house, but only if you maintain them and respect health and safety instructions. If you use unseasoned wood and don’t call a chimney sweep every now and then to clean it, the chimney will become clogged, increasing the risk of a house fire. Needless to say, the room where you keep the chimney must be very well ventilated.

 

Heat tools

Most us use hair straighteners and curling irons before leaving for work, but, if you’re in a hurry and forget to turn these heat tools off, you could start a house fire. Heat tools can reach temperatures of up to 230 degrees and if they come in contact with carpet or furniture, they will catch fire. If you’re afraid you might leave your straightener turned on, invest in a heatproof glove or mat and keep the hair tools on it. Also, some heat tools have a setting where they turn off on their own to prevent a fire.

 

Plug sockets

The average home has a lot of electrical appliances, from TVs and computers to refrigerators, washing machines and ovens. Using all of these appliances at once can overload plug sockets and a house fire could start. The risk is higher in houses where the electrical network hasn’t been replaced in decades – when these properties were built, the average household didn’t have too many appliances. Now, it does, and calling an electrician to replace all the wiring is a great investment.

 

Candles

Reading a book surrounded by the delicious smell of pumpkin spice is great, but the harmless candles we use every day aren’t as harmless when left to burn unattended. Never leave a candle burning next to something that could easily catch fire, such as a curtain or papers. Make sure the candle holder can withstand the heat from the flame and don’t leave the candle next to pets or kids, who could knock it over and start a fire.

Posted by
Tagged:

Comments are closed.