When you invest in a bespoke adhesive tape for any given purpose whatsoever, chances are you would like it to last as long as possible. This applies to both the life of the unused tape in storage and also the tape that has already been put to use for its specified purpose. According to the experts at www.bdk.uk.com, there are various ways and means by which the life of any adhesive tape can be extended significantly. As with most things, the key lies in taking a proactive approach, rather than taking things for granted.
Purchased from a leading manufacturer and used appropriately, bespoke adhesive tapes have the potential to improve output, take product quality for a much higher level and reduce operational costs all at the same time. As such, it therefore simply makes sense to look after these kinds of investments, in order to get the very most out of them. So as far as the experts are concerned, it really isn’t a great deal to ask to ensure they’re both handled and stored appropriately.
Here’s a brief overview of just a few tips when it comes to extending the life of adhesive tape, both before and after application:
- First of all, there is very little that can have a detrimental effect on many types of pressure sensitive adhesive tape quite like moisture. In terms of tape that is being put to use, absolutely any trace of moisture on the surfaces to be bonded may have a marked impact on its ability to create a strong and reliable bond. When it comes to tape that is being kept in storage, the humidity of the room itself could likewise compromise the integrity and general properties of the tape. As such, it is of the utmost importance to ensure that unless the tape has been specifically manufactured to tolerate moisture, it is kept away from even traces of moisture at all times.
- It’s also exactly the same story when it comes to temperatures at both ends of the spectrum. Generally speaking, adhesive tapes will be unable to provide a strong and reliable bond if they are too cold at the time they are applied. And if they are stored in an environment for an extended period of time that is particularly cold, it may impact their properties and integrity. Likewise, excessively high temperatures may make it impossible for the adhesive coating on the tape to set properly and could damage unused tape in storage. The instructions supplied with the tape will always specify ideal storage conditions – guidelines that should be followed to the letter.
- Speaking of which, one of the most important rules of all when it comes to extending the life of adhesive tapes and adhesive products in general is that of reading and adhering to the supplied instructions in full. Do not fall into the trap of assuming that just because you know how to use and handle one adhesive product correctly, you automatically know how to handle another. Things can be extremely different from one product to the next when it comes to maximising their properties and usable life. So before even thinking about getting started, be sure to read the instructions from top to bottom.
- For reasons that should be relatively obvious, it is also important to be mindful when it comes to the actual materials and surfaces the adhesive tapes are used with. While some will be designed specifically for use with one or more materials, there will always be certain materials that are simply unsuitable for specific adhesive products. Take things for granted and use the wrong adhesive with the wrong surface and you risk an unreliable bond that may fail at any time.
- It is also worth remembering that any kind of physical impact or pressure inflicted on the tape itself prior to being used could have a detrimental impact on its ability to create a strong and reliable bond. When rolls of tape are dented, crushed, torn or damaged in any way, they cannot necessarily be relied on to perform as intended.
- Last but not least, one of the most important rules to follow when it comes to maximising the usable life of any given adhesive product is to ensure that high quality products are purchased in the first place. The simple fact of the matter is that the higher the quality of the adhesive you purchase, the longer you can expect the product to be able to carry out its job flawlessly.